Messerschmitt ME109G10/U4

This aircraft is owned by a local collector and on display for a period of time during this summer. When it is completed, this aircraft will be the only flying in the world. The winter of 1945 season-correct paint scheme is what it looked like that allowed it to blend in with the surrounding terrain after being maunfactured.

The Messerschmitt ME109 was one of the fastest, deadliest and innovative warplanes to come out of WWII Nazi Germany war machine. These were warplanes made to fight and the German fighter made the ME109 stand out from the rest, from the fuel-injected engines, to the larger-caliber machine guns and cannons the ME109 was built for speed and destruction. That’s what it was all about, it was war”. Its armaments would out-gun the .50 caliber and .303 caliber guns on Allied planes.

The Messerschmitt will be on display with the Museum until at least fall of 2021.

TECHNICAL NOTES: 
Armament: One 30mm MK 108 cannon and two 13mm MG 131 machine guns
Engine: One Daimler-Benz DB 605D inverted V rated at 1,850 hp for take-off
Maximum speed in level flight: 426 mph at 24,280 ft.
Range: See below
Ceiling: 41,400 ft.
Span: 32 ft.
Length: 29 ft. 5 in.
Height: 8 ft. 2.5 in.
Empty Weight: 5,800 lbs.

This aircraft is owned by a local collector.

  • When completed, it will be the only flying ME109G10/U4 in the
    world.
  • This aircraft would have been completed at the WNF factory in
    February 1945, with the test flight occurring about Feb. 17/45. After
    a successful test flight, it would have been turned over to the
    Luftwaffe.
  • Aircraft left the German factories in standard camouflage paint
    schemes, and were later re-painted when they arrived at the front ( if
    required ). As this aircraft was completed in the winter of 1945, a
    season-correct paint scheme would have been applied that allowed it
    to blend in with the surrounding terrain. Often these aircraft were
    repainted in less than ideal conditions.
  • This aircraft was equipped with two 13mm machine guns that
    were located in the top rear engine cowls. They were electrically
    timed to fire through the propeller blades without hitting them.
  • A 30mm cannon was located in the forward lower cockpit area,
    between the pilot’s legs, and fired through the propeller reduction
    gearbox ( and out the centre of the propeller spinner ).
  • Additional 20mm or 30mm cannons could be added in gondolas,
    one under each wing.